Black Bean + QUinoa Tacos
Since going plant based I never realized how long veggies can take to prep - so much slicing & dicing. When I found a recipe for black bean + quinoa tacos I was sold! I really liked the texture of the quinoa paired with the black beans to give the filling more of a meaty texture and consistency. And because quinoa can take on almost any flavor profile we found this recipe to an instant family favorite.
Here is What You will need:
- A box or pouch of quinoa - for this specific meal I used a tri-color quinoa that I needed to prep on the stovetop. If you are short on time or only have a quinoa in a pouch you can still use it! Use entire box or pouch.
- A can of black beans - drained
- A small - medium onion - dice + sautéed
- Corn Tortillas
- Plant Based Sour Cream
- Salt + Pepper
- Vegetable Bouillon Cube or Vegetable Broth for cooking boxed quinoa
I am all about shortcuts and maximizing flavors - the original recipe I found that inspired my dish used dried spices and tomato paste - all of which I didn’t have on hand. I did however have a jar of Sofrito (by Goya) and a jar of chunky salsa.
Here is where my recipe takes on it’s own life:
I cooked the quinoa in vegetable broth made from a bouillon cube - you could easily cook in water - but that is boring. The veggie broth made all the difference and added a richness to the quinoa. Once cooked, I added in a 1/4 (1/-)cup of both the Sorfito & salsa until I liked the flavors and consistency. Then added in the onion and drained black beans. Seriously, easy!
You could add diced jalapeños, cayenne or chili powder, or whatever spicy flavors you like at this point.
For the Cilantro Lime Creme
- A handful Cilantro
- A teaspoon to tablespoon - Lime or Lime Juice
- 1 cup - Plant Based Sour Cream
- A splash or two (maybe three) Plant Milk
In your blender combine the leaves of the cilantro, sour cream, lime juice, and begin to blend - slowly add in plant milk and thin the creme as much as you’d like. Sadly, I went a little over kill on the plant milk and the creme became slightly runny in consistency. Store in a jar and enjoy on salads or leftover tacos.
How to Serve:
- Hard or soft shell tacos
- Over a baked potato
- As a quesadilla
- A salad topper