Plant Based Gluten Free Veggie Lasagna
For those of you who might have followed me for awhile or know me from my paleo days, these plant based recipes might come as a shock. I’ve been battling an undiagnosed chronic health challenge since mid-January (2020) and after many tests, lots of unanswered questions, and one horrible “recommended” diet, I began a transition to plant based eating. I’m calling myself a plant curious eater.
Thankfully, I have an adventurous side when it comes to eating and this transition - which really was more like cold turkey - has been incredibly enjoyable and a lot of fun.
Making a plant based gluten free veggie filled lasagna was definitely a labor of love and will be made again in the very near future. I can’t take credit for this recipe as I found it through Instagram on Alexa who runs Fueled Naturally .
For this recipe I used extra firm tofu and transformed it into a ricotta cheese substitute and found a box of Jovial No Boil Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles at Wegmans. I’ll admit, I had my doubts and at first test taste of the “ricotta” I wasn’t sold. Once the flavors were combined and baked, my taste buds did a happy dance.
TO MAKE THE TOFU “RICOTTA” YOU’LL NEED:
- One package of firm or extra firm tofu - drained and pressed
- Nutritional Yeast - about 4 heaping tablespoons
- Lemon Juice
- Italian spices - I love adding the spices right into my ricotta even if it’s a dairy version
- Sea Salt (about a teaspoon +/-)
- Garlic Powder (about two teaspoons +/-)
- I added a splash of unsweetened plant milk to help thin the mixture - you won’t need much!
- I sautéed mushrooms & onion and sliced raw zucchini & added frozen spinach (which I crumbled in my hands as I added to the layers)
- You could add in additional veggies of your choice and/or a meat alternative or meat (if that’s your thing)
- Two jars of pasta sauce of choice
- One box of Jovial No Boil Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles - follow the box for directions
- Daiya Shredded Mozzarella was used between the layers and sprinkled on top with additional Nutritional Yeast
- Again, follow the exact directions on the box of Jovial No Boil Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles and you won’t be disappointed!